August 2019: New Release Rentals
Week of August 6
- Pokemon Detective Pikachu (PG)The story begins when ace private eye Harry Goodman goes mysteriously missing, prompting his 21-year-old son Tim to find out what happened. Aiding in the investigation is Harry's former Pokemon partner, Detective Pikachu: a hilariously wise-cracking, adorable super-sleuth who is a puzzlement even to himself. Finding that they are uniquely equipped to communicate with one another, Tim and Pikachu join forces on a thrilling adventure to unravel the tangled mystery. Chasing clues together through the neon-lit streets of Ryme City--a sprawling, modern metropolis where humans and Pokemon live side by side in a hyper-realistic live-action world--they encounter a diverse cast of Pokemon characters and uncover a shocking plot that could destroy this peaceful co-existence and threaten the whole Pokemon universe.
- Hellboy (R)Hellboy is back, and he's on fire. From the pages of Mike Mignola's seminal work, this action-packed story sees the legendary half-demon (David Harbour) called to the English countryside to battle a trio of rampaging giants. There he discovers The Blood Queen, Nimue (Milla Jovovich), a resurrected ancient sorceress thirsting to avenge a past betrayal. Suddenly caught in a clash between the supernatural and the human, Hellboy is now hell-bent on stopping Nimue without triggering the end of the world.
- High Life (R)Monte (Robert Pattinson) and his baby daughter are the last survivors of a damned and dangerous mission to deep space. The crew--death-row inmates led by a doctor (Juliette Binoche) with sinister motives--has vanished. As the mystery of what happened onboard the ship is unraveled, father and daughter must rely on each other to survive as they hurtle toward the oblivion of a black hole.
- After (PG-13)AFTER follows Tessa (Josephine Langford), a dedicated student, dutiful daughter and loyal girlfriend to her high school sweetheart, as she enters her first semester in college. Armed with grand ambitions for her future, her guarded world opens up when she meets the dark and mysterious Hardin Scott (Hero Fiennes Tiffin), a magnetic, brooding rebel who makes her question all she thought she knew about herself and what she wants out of life.
- Head Count (Not Rated)Newcomer Evan joins a group of teens on a getaway in Joshua Tree. While exchanging ghost stories around the campfire, Evan reads aloud a mysterious chant from an internet site. From that moment, someone--or something--is among them. As unsettling, inexplicable events become more frequent, Evan realizes this summoned shape-shifting creature is targeting them to fulfill a deadly ritual.
- Landing Lake (Not Rated)A team of satellite technicians enter the woods to repair a communication station but they are forced to rescue the crew of an airplane that crashed near a lake. They quickly realise that something may be coming from the lake that is affecting their minds and the passing of time. As they lose their inhibitions their most primal desires take hold. Lured on by the unseen entity it seems that only one of the team is permitted to bond with it and so be reborn in a new physical body. A terrifying game of strategy not to survive, but rather to die with the promise of life anew.
- Mojin: The Worm Valley (Not Rated)Following in the footsteps of blockbuster MOJIN: THE LOST LEGEND and based on the bestselling novel series, MOJIN: THE WORM VALLEY once again finds legendary tomb explorer Hu Bayi on a dangerous mission as he seeks out the Tomb of Emperor Xian, located on an island of monstrous creatures in this mystical action-adventure.
- Robert Reborn (Not Rated)In 1951 USSR, as the Cold War intensifies, infamous dictator Joseph Stalin is suffering with illness and his death is imminent. Meanwhile, KGB agent Stoichkov discovers a mysterious stage show in the Baltic region featuring three creepy dolls - Robert, Kalashnikov and Miss Cyclops. Spellbound by the lifelike animation displayed by the dolls on stage, Stoichkov investigates the show's host and discovers he is a German Toymaker who owns a mystical book which holds the key to eternal life. Believing the Toymaker and his book will help Stalin escape death, Stoichkov kidnaps him and they board a plane to Moscow. But the Toymaker's living creations have followed them. When the plane is in mid air all hell breaks loose as Stoichkov and his team of KGB agents realize the three dolls are on board and will stop at nothing to rescue their puppet master. Fasten your seat belt and prepare for blood soaked toy terror at 30,000 feet.
- Storm Boy (PG)A beautiful and contemporary retelling of Colin Thiele's classic Australian tale.
'Storm Boy' has grown up to be Michael Kingley, a successful retired businessman and grandfather. When Kingley starts to see images from his past that he can't explain, he is forced to remember his long-forgotten childhood, growing up on an isolated coastline with his father. He recounts to his granddaughter the story of how, as a boy, he rescued and raised an extraordinary orphaned pelican, Mr. Percival. Their remarkable adventures and very special bond has a profound effect on all their lives.
Based on the beloved book, Storm Boy is a timeless story of an unusual and unconditional friendship.
Week of August 13
- Avengers: Endgame (Not Rated)Adrift in space with no food or water, Tony Stark sends a message to Pepper Potts as his oxygen supply starts to dwindle. Meanwhile, the remaining Avengers -- Thor, Black Widow, Captain America and Bruce Banner -- must figure out a way to bring back their vanquished allies for an epic showdown with Thanos -- the evil demigod who decimated the planet and the universe.
- The Intruder (PG-13)When a young married couple (Michael Ealy and Meagan Good) buys their dream house in the Napa Valley, they think they have found the perfect home to take their next steps as a family. But when the strangely attached seller (Dennis Quaid) continues to infiltrate their lives, they begin to suspect that he has hidden motivations beyond a quick sale.
- Little Woods (R)Ollie, a well-meaning woman with an unlawful cause, has been illegally furnishing the residents of North Dakota with Canadian medicine and health care. Unfortunately, she's proven no match for the long arms of the law. With her fate now hanging in the balance, Ollie makes the prudent decision to dismantle her black market business. Ollie's sister, Deb, foils her plan after coming to her with one final cry for help.
- Family (Not Rated)Kate (Taylor Schilling) is a workaholic who avoids social interaction at all costs. However, after being unexpectedly tasked with babysitting her equally awkward niece Maddie (Bryn Vale), she has to face her own issues of social paranoid when Maddie runs away to join the Juggalos. Written and directed by Laura Steinel. Also starring Brian Tyree Henry, Jessie Ennis, Blair Beeken, Matt Walsh, Kate McKinnon, and Juan Gaspard.~Clare Perez-Izaguirre Lopez
- Saint Judy (PG-13)The true story of immigration attorney Judy Wood as she represents and fights for Asefa Ashwari, an Afghan woman who fled her home country after being persecuted by the Taliban. Despite setbacks and losses, their efforts culminate in arguments before the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, as they seek to save not only Asefa's life, but countless others across the world.
- Teen Spirit (PG-13)Violet (Elle Fanning) is a shy teenager who dreams of escaping her small town and pursuing her passion to sing. With the help of an unlikely mentor, she enters a local singing competition that will test her integrity, talent and ambition. Driven by a pop-fueled soundtrack, Teen Spirit is a visceral and stylish spin on the Cinderella story.
- Unplanned (Not Rated)All Abby Johnson ever wanted to do was help women. As one of the youngest Planned Parenthood clinic directors in the nation, she was involved in upwards of 22,000 abortions and counseled countless women about their reproductive choices. Until the day she saw something that changed everything.
- Monster Island (Not Rated)When Lucas finds out he is not really a human, but actually a monster, the news changes his whole world! Embarking on a quest to Monster Island to discover his real roots, Lucas undergoes a journey he will never forget. He finds himself face to face with more tentacles, fangs and far-out situations than he can shake one of his new wings at. Ultimately Lucas learns that being a freak, isnt freakyit means youre a member of a brand new type of family that you can proudly call your own.
- Scary Stories (Not Rated)Explore the history of one of the most controversial works of modern children's literature: The best selling teen classic Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, which scared a generation of readers and became of of the most banned books of modern times. Includes the author's family, scholars, folklorists, artists, fans, and children's book authors such as R.L. Stine, Q.L. Pearce, and more.
Week of August 20
- The Walking Dead: The Complete Ninth Season (Not Rated)Last season brought the culmination of "All Out War," which pitted Rick Grimes and his group of survivors against the Saviors and their leader, Negan. With Negan's life in his hands, Rick had a character-defining choice in front of him, and he spared Negan to uphold the values his late son, Carl, championed -- values that created conflict within his group. Now, with survivors rebuilding civilization under Rick's leadership a year and a half after the end of the war, it's a time of relative peace among the communities. However, the world they knew is rapidly changing, nature is literally taking over, and, as time passes, the communities confront unexpected obstacles and danger. But nothing can prepare them for the formidable force they're about to encounter, threatening the very idea of civilization our survivors have worked so hard to build.
- Master Z: Ip Man Legacy (Not Rated)Legendary action director Yuen Woo-Ping draws on a stellar cast (Michelle Yeoh, Dave Bautista, Tony Jaa, and Max Zhang) to create a hard-hitting martial arts blast worthy of its place in the celebrated IP MAN universe. Following his defeat by Master Ip, Cheung Tin Chi (Zhang), tries to make a life with his young son in Hong Kong, waiting tables at a bar that caters to expats. But its not long before the mix of foreigners, money, and triad leaders draw him once again to the fight.
- Missing Link (PG)The charismatic Sir Lionel Frost (voiced by Hugh Jackman) considers himself to be the world's foremost investigator of myths and monsters. The trouble is none of his small-minded high-society peers seems to recognize this. Sir Lionel's last chance for acceptance by the adventuring elite rests on traveling to America's Pacific Northwest to prove the existence of a legendary creature. A living remnant of Man's primitive ancestry. The Missing Link.
Zach Galifianakis is Mr. Link: the slightly silly, surprisingly smart and soulful beast upon whom Sir Lionel's dreams depend. As species go, he's as endangered as they get; he's the last of his kind, and he's lonely. Proposing a daring quest to seek out his rumored distant relatives, he enlists Sir Lionel's help in an odyssey around the world to find the fabled valley of Shangri-La.
Together with Adelina Fortnight (voiced by Zoe Saldana), an independent and resourceful adventurer who possesses the only known map to the group's secret destination, the unlikely trio embarks on a riotous rollercoaster of a ride. Along the way, our fearless explorers encounter more than their fair share of peril, stalked at every turn by dastardly villains seeking to thwart their mission. Through it all, Mr. Link's disarming charm and good-humored conviction provide the emotional and comedic foundation of this fun-filled family film.
- The Outsider (Not Rated)In search of the American dream, a railroad worker (Jon Foo) finds himself on the wrong side of a lawless frontier. As the Marshall (Adkins) attempts to control his corrupt town, tragedy strikes sending the railroad worker on a path of retaliation. Sean Patrick Flanery & Danny Trejo also star in this gritty tale of revenge in a Western boomtown.
- Abduction (Not Rated)Quinn (Scott Adkins, Doctor Strange), a member of a SWAT unit, steps out of a park fountain in an Asian city with no recollection of who he is or where he came from. As he pieces together clues from his past, he vaguely recalls his young daughter, who has been kidnapped. Meanwhile, Conner (Andy On, Zombie Fight Club), a former military operative turned gangster-for-hire, discovers that his wife has also disappeared mysteriously in the middle of the night. These two men, with little in common, realize they must work together to find their loved ones and thwart their mysterious abductors.
- Critters Attack! (Not Rated)Inspired by the cult-favorite film series from the '80s and '90s, Critters Attack! follows 20-year-old Drea, who reluctantly takes a job babysitting for a professor of a college she hopes to attend. Struggling to keep the professor's children, Trissy and Jake, and her own little brother Phillip entertained, Drea takes them on a hike, unaware that mysterious alien critters have crash-landed and started devouring every living thing they encounter. While being tracked by the ravenous critters, Drea and the kids encounter an adorable, seemingly harmless female critter named Bianca, an exiled royal fleeing the critter race. As the critters converge on campus, Drea and the kids, who are now inextricably linked to Bianca, rush to head them off. Will Drea discover her inner badass, and will it be enough to stop the critter onslaught? And is the critter princess as innocent as she seems?
- How High 2 (Not Rated)Lil Yachty (Roger) and DC Young Fly (Calvin) star in the sequel to the cult-classic stoner comedy How High. When two jobless friends discover a hidden weed bible and the ultimate bud, they think that they've got it made... with 'seed' money to start a new snack delivery app. But, when nearly all of their stash and weed bible are stolen, the two potpreneurs set off on an outrageous, mind-bending adventure through Atlanta to find them. Stoned with supernatural powers, they search 'high' and low, stopping at nothing to recover their ticket to starting a legit business.
- Dogman (Not Rated)In a seaside village on the outskirts of an Italian city, where the only law seems to be survival of the fittest, Marcello is a slight, mild-mannered man who divides his days between working at his modest dog grooming salon, caring for his daughter Alida, and being coerced into the petty criminal schemes of the local bully Simoncino, an ex-boxer who terrorizes the neighborhood. When Simoncinos abuse finally brings Marcello to a breaking point, he decides to stand up for his own dignity through an act of vengeance, with unintended consequences.
- Fast Color (PG-13)Hunted by mysterious forces, a young woman (Gugu Mbatha-Raw) with supernatural abilities must go on the run when her powers are discovered. With nowhere else to go, she flees back to her family and the farmhouse she abandoned long ago. There, while being pursued by the local Sheriff (David Strathairn), she begins to mend the broken relationships with her mother (Lorraine Toussaint) and daughter (Saniyya Sidney) and unearths the depths of the power within her.
- Rock Paper Scissors (R)From the writer of FRIDAY THE 13TH and the director of CHILD'S PLAY comes this tale of a serial killer thats been curedor has he been? Released from a mental hospital, Peter (Luke Macfarlane, "Brothers & Sisters") is haunted by memories of childhood abuse and murder victims while being menaced by the cop who put him away (Michael Madsen, THE HATEFUL EIGHT). His only friend is pretty neighbor Monica, who says she wants to interview him for a book. But does she have a more sinister motive in mind?
- Shadow Wolves (Not Rated)Shadow Wolves is an elite unit of highly trained Native Americans who must stop ISIS terrorists sneaking into the U.S. When Colonel Branson (Gibson), head of a secret division of the NSA, sends his best agent (Walker) to help them, his presence could bring the Shadow Wolves closer together or break them apart.
- Soul Reaper (Not Rated)Charlie's getting married. And when he invites his friends to join him for a stag weekend in a remote British cabin, the group thinks it's a great opportunity to leave the US behind and have a blow out with their old buddy - Only thing is, Charlie isn't telling his friends the whole truth about the trip. Instead of celebrating, events soon take a sinister turn when the friends start to disappear one by one. Is Charlie up to his old tricks? Or has some dark demonic force really been unleashed into the woods? Soon the American friends start to learn the true reason why Charlie has invited them to a creepy cabin in the woods, in the middle of nowhere, and the fight for survival is on.
Week of August 27
- Godzilla: King of the Monsters (PG-13)Following the global success of "Godzilla" and "Kong: Skull Island" comes the next chapter in Warner Bros. Pictures' and Legendary Pictures' cinematic MonsterVerse, an epic action adventure that pits Godzilla against some of the most popular monsters in pop culture history. The new story follows the heroic efforts of the crypto-zoological agency Monarch as its members face off against a battery of god-sized monsters, including the mighty Godzilla, who collides with Mothra, Rodan, and his ultimate nemesis, the three-headed King Ghidorah. When these ancient super-species--thought to be mere myths--rise again, they all vie for supremacy, leaving humanity's very existence hanging in the balance.
- Domino (R)A Copenhagen police officer, Christian (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau), seeks justice for his partner's murder by ISIS member Imran. In a world wracked by terror and suspicion, Christian and Alex (Carice van Houten), a fellow cop and his late partner's mistress, embark on a mission to hunt Imran down, but are unwittingly caught in a cat-and-mouse chase with a duplicitous CIA agent (Guy Pearce) who is using Imran as a pawn to trap other ISIS members. Soon Christian and Alex are racing against the clock -- not only seeking revenge, but to save their own lives.
- Body at Brighton Rock (R)In this edge-of-your-seat thriller, an inexperienced park ranger takes a wrong turn and discovers a dead body in the remote mountain woods. Helplessly lost, and with orders to guard the potential crime scene until rescuers can arrive in the morning, she must fight the urge to run and instead stare down her darkest fears. Will she survive the brutal conditions of a night alone in the wilderness?
- Desert Fury Dvd (Not Rated)Inspired by true events. Two best friends enlist in the U S Army to fight in the Persian Gulf War, but the men and their unit are soon captured by Iraqi forces and must work together with other prisoners of war to escape the brutal, unforgiving desert while being hunted by the enemy.
- Holy Lands (Not Rated)Harry Rosenmerch (James Caan) is a Jewish-American cardiologist from New York who has a troublesome relationship with his son David (Jonatha Rhys Meyers), his daughter Annabelle (Efrat Dor), and his wife (Rosanna Arquette). He soon leaves everything to breed pigs in Nazareth, Israel. While there, Harry meets Moshe, a Rabbi who is against Harry's pig farm.
- The Last Whistle (PG)High school football coach Victor Trenton is beloved by the town and is a father figure to his team. When an all-star player collapses during an intense practice, all eyes turn to the storied head coach. Instead of mollifying the situation, he tries to push the team to continue their winning streak rather than dealing with the circumstances. Now, with the player's mother pressing charges, the coach must decide if his reputation, career, and livelihood are worth his pride.
- Twelve Pole Manor (Not Rated)A group of friends buy a house in West Virginia in order to flip it for a profit. But this house has a dark and deadly past, one foretold in urban legend. As the house possesses the friends to turn against each other and themselves one by one, its unforgiving need for blood only grows stronger.
- Ulysses: A Dark Odyssey (Not Rated)Taurus City, The United States of Europe, 2023. Uly, a disillusioned soldier riddled with amnesia, returns home from a war in the Middle East, knowing only that he must desperately comb the city to find his beloved wife, Penelope. Fate fills this endless night with a series of chance meetings. Whether it be the wealthy Alcyde, the beastly cyclops Popov, Aeo the Gyspy, or Cici the Sorceress, good or evil that they be, each encounter fills in a missing piece of Uly's memory, so that he can finally face his past.